For the Last Time Blog 16th May 2020 [Funeral Home]

For the Last Time - Visiting the Funeral Home during Covid Lockdown

So I went off to sign documents. Like a child the night before Christmas because I had been under lockdown and now I could drive without fear of being arrested.
Can you believe that a car trip can be so exciting. Remember I am high risk so I don't sommer go out.

Mask, throw away rubber gloves -all I needed was the beard and Rudolf the red nose reindeer.

KZN is so beautiful in Autumn. Fresh crisp morning air, but not cold enough for a jacket as yet. The world stays green here as if the flora has for centuries adapted to the low rainfall in the area.

Municipal workers all with masks (Zulus don't practice social distancing), slowly getting ready to cut the grass on the verge.
Big fat jovial goggas (grannies), still perched next to their home-grown extra large avocados, soaking in the weak early morning sun as it creeps over the shoreline.

The turquoise blue funeral home was 3rd world quaint. The staff suitable morbid and efficient for the occasion. Walls adorned with a Catholic take on Jesus, Mother Mary, Several Hindu gods and a few I could not identify. Death is a equalizer.

I told them I met Jeff when I was 16 and he was a wonderful husband. At last a small crack of interest and humanity appeared on the faces.
Let's hope that will afford the body some sort of respect when sent to the KZN University Medical School for embalming. This is Jeff's final road and for the last time, his final gift - donating his body for science. After five years, he will be cremated and they will scatter his ashes.

So I am starting to see the 'last time' for
Jeff Knipe
for many things.
Last time to give my thumb print for him. Last time to sign forms handing over his body to the University. Last time to pack away his clothes for goodwill.

Even though the hospital was under strict lockdown due to Covid the sister broke the rules and let me in for two hours. I think she knew.

I am thankful I spoke to him for the last time 24 hours before he died of organ failure cause by gangrene spreading as a result of acute diabetes affecting his blood circulation. I was able, for the last time, to tell him I love him and for the last time I prayed for him, while he watched me from behind the ventilator.

The next day new staff was on duty and would not let me in even though I slept in the car in the hospital parking lot just in case they would. That morning he told the young nurse, "I'm dying today" and that afternoon he quietly slipped away into the arms of Jesus.

For the last time - No regrets.

Go hug your husband, boyfriend or partner. Forgive, don't stay angry. God opened doors for me, you may not have the opportunity to have a 'last time' like I did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Trail saying goodbye 16th May 2020

Housekeeping 1 June 2020